What Should I Do If My License Is Suspended?

What Should I Do If My License Is Suspended?

  • Surrender your driver’s license to the MDOT MVA.
  • No time will be credited for suspension without the surrender of your license.
  • If you no longer have your license, you must make a statement explaining its loss or theft.
  • After completing the suspension period, you may return to driving.

If you are suspended for receiving between 8 – 11 points on your license, there are two choices:

The first choice is to accept the suspension:

If you choose to accept the suspension, it is critical that you return your license as soon as possible.

No credit will be given towards suspension time until you turn in your license or give a statement to the MVA indicating that the license has been lost.

If you have a learner’s permit or a provisional license:

1)    DIP Class
2)    Second Offense: 30 days of license suspension and 90 days of restriction.
3)    Third Offense: 180 days of suspension and 180 days of work/home restriction.  Must attend Young Driver Improvement Program.
4)    180 day revocation.

Please note: For Learner’s Permit and Provisional License holders, the waiting period to progress to the next stage of licensing begins again after each conviction.

What If I Want A Hearing?

  1. Complete and return the hearing request and the filing fee within 15 days of the notice date.
  2. Once hearing request and fee have been received, suspension will be temporarily lifted until the hearing is completed.
  3. The Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH), which conducts the suspension hearing, will notify you of its location, date, and time.
  4. Attend the hearing with a lawyer if you would like to hire one.
  5. Follow any and all of the restrictions imposed by the judge.

What If My License Has Been Suspended Or Revoked For Alcohol Related Offenses?

1) You may be allowed to participate in Ignition Interlock, if eligible.
2) You will be able to continue driving, but with restrictions.
3) You will have to pay for any additional training or treatment.
4) You will have to pay for ignition interlocks to be installed on your vehicle.
5) You may be referred for additional evaluation, treatment, and ongoing monitoring of your driving

If you have been suspended or revoked for alcohol related offenses including refusal to test, you may request diversion into the Ignition Interlock program.

You may also be placed in the ignition interlock program as a result of a judge referral into the program.

You may also be placed under the supervision of Driver Wellness and Safety because alcohol abuse and drug abuse are both considered medically reportable conditions.

Being placed in the ignition interlock system will result in significant costs for the driver including:

  •     the cost to install the system
  •     the cost to monitor the system monthly
  •     the need to install the system in every vehicle to which a driver has access
  •     the cost to remove the system after the ignition interlock program has ended.